Skip to main content

Dementia Research

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor so I cannot diagnose or offer treatments, I am sharing this information that is considered educational.

Much of the research on dementia/Alzheimer's is centered on what is referred to as Tight Junction Proteins. These are proteins that act like clamps that hold tissues together in terms of neurological, these "clamps" hold the blood vessels together. And when the tight junction proteins become damaged, the blood vessels begin to "leak". 

Science refers the tight junction proteins as barrier as in the blood brain barrier. They will also refer to as barrier integrity.

AI says this:

 Tight junction proteins are vital for various physiological processes, including the formation of barriers in the brain (blood-brain barrier), intestines, and other tissues. They also play a role in disease mechanisms when their function is disrupted.

The barrier function occurs in the blood vessels, and they think that when they leak, this is affecting cognitive function. 

AI again:

Barrier integrity plays a significant role in dementia, particularly in conditions like Alzheimer's disease. The blood-brain barrier (BBB), a protective shield that regulates the movement of substances between the bloodstream and the brain, often becomes compromised in dementia. This breakdown can allow harmful substances to enter the brain, contributing to inflammation, oxidative stress, and neuronal damage.

A good example of this is a garden hose that is meant to carry water to your plants. If the hose lacks "barrier function" or has holes, the water will not arrive at your flowers with robustness. The water will leak out of the hose and say flood your sidewalk. 

What causes this leakage? namely oxidative stress. Oxidative stress is also known as free radical damage, inflammation, toxicity (toxins) etc. Oxidative stress attacks (degrades) cells, tissues, organs etc. Oxidative stress is corrosive, it drains the cells of their vitality. 

Some examples of origins of oxidative stress would be:

1/ Normal American living - meaning job constraints, traffic jams, financial strains, social media, not enough sleep etc. 

2/ Environmental chemicals -- could be found in cleaning products, building products, lawn care, water, air, food (pesticides and herbicides). In fact my doctor brother who was also a researcher in infertility told me that they can now pinpoint the rise in infertility to genetic shifting that is caused by chemicals.

3/ Immune system activation and now the gut is now recognized as a contributor to brain health. They refer to this as the gut/brain axis.  

AI:

The gut microbiome has a profound impact on brain health and is increasingly linked to dementia, including Alzheimer's disease. The gut-brain axis facilitates communication between the gut and the brain, and imbalances in gut microbiota can contribute to neuroinflammation, oxidative stress, and disruptions in brain function.

The gut issue comes down to improper families of bacteria that are predominant. Bacteria have many classifications (families), some are better than others. The bad ones produce byproducts that tend to be inflammatory, these unwanted byproducts not only affect normal cells but migrate to the brain. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Patrick Gut Environment

\ Keywords to use in further research, GALT, tight junction proteins, Mucin layer, microbiome in MECFS or Long Covid, Goblet cells.   It was great chatting with you the other day. I’ve put together this general overview, but as I mentioned, you’ll definitely want to do your own deeper research. This is a very complex, interactive environment, and you’ll naturally come across many different opinions about what’s happening. Most opinions tend to focus on single layers, but as I’ve discovered, these layers are highly interconnected and influence one another. I don’t want to oversimplify things, nor do I want to overcomplicate them. It takes time to truly understand the gut environment in its proper context. I’m also cautious about saying “do X and you’ll get Y,” because results are rarely that straightforward. When I introduce layered therapies, I look for subtle changes across a list of markers I track. That’s why I believe this should be approached with care and patience—though I’m ...

Caleb

I am constantly upgrading my protocols, which means I streamline. I went from taking individual supplements to revising this to a "container' idea, which means I think in systems rather than individual things. This is easier to manage. I will list my systems and how I approach this. I also have listed in terms of financial considerations, meaning I listed the most cost effective and best results.   Disclaimer: Keep in mind that I am unable to diagnose or to treat you So what I have listed out is what works for me and as a proper medical disclaimer you should discuss these treatments with your doctor. The video series will help understand the material better and I have additional information there. The videos could have been edited better if I had more time ;(. Thank you for your patience.    Video Series 1. B asic nutrients - this is foundational . I placed it at the number one spot . The reason for this is that my background was heavily into nutrients due t...

Gut environment

 OK let's go back over the scenario Somebody gets a gut bug that could be viral or bacterial and we're going to put in the context of either long COVID or MECFS Let's discuss what exactly happens of how the body begins to adapt to this insult p — let’s build this cleanly, structurally, and without drama. This is the core terrain‑mechanics model of what happens when someone gets a gut bug (viral or bacterial) and then develops a long‑tail condition like long COVID or ME/CFS . This is the architecture that explains why the system never fully resets . I’ll walk you through it in chronological order , layer by layer, so you can see exactly how the body adapts — and why those adaptations become the trap. ⭐ 1. The Initial Insult Terrain layer: immune activation, epithelial irritation, redox stress A viral or bacterial gut infection does three things immediately: damages epithelial cells strips mucin spikes inflammatory cytokines This creates: redox collapse increased permeabil...