Skip to main content

Damage by Reactive Oxygen

This article discusses the problem with oxidative stress in which tissues, cells and organs are damaged as a result of this stress. The article discusses the role of antioxidants and the protection they provide to the oxidative damage. The author discusses the problems with getting the antioxidants where they can provide the most good. Liposomal delivery seems to be a good idea according to the article.



Abstract

Reactive oxygen species (ROS), including superoxide anion, hydrogen peroxide, and hydroxyl radical, can be formed as normal products of aerobic metabolism and can be produced at elevated rates under pathophysiological conditions. Overproduction and/or insufficient removal of ROS result in significant damage to cell structure and functions. In vitro studies showed that antioxidants, when applied directly and at relatively high concentrations to cellular systems, are effective in conferring protection against the damaging actions of ROS, but results from animal and human studies showed that several antioxidants provide only modest benefit and even possible harm. Antioxidants have yet to be rendered into reliable and safe therapies because of their poor solubility, inability to cross membrane barriers, extensive first-pass metabolism, and rapid clearance from cells. There is considerable interest towards the development of drug-delivery systems that would result in the selective delivery of antioxidants to tissues in sufficient concentrations to ameliorate oxidant-induced tissue injuries. Liposomes are biocompatible, biodegradable, and nontoxic artificial phospholipid vesicles that offer the possibility of carrying hydrophilic, hydrophobic, and amphiphilic molecules. This paper focus on the use of liposomes for the delivery of antioxidants in the prevention or treatment of pathological conditions related to oxidative stress.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Patrick Gut Environment

\ Keywords to use in further research, GALT, tight junction proteins, Mucin layer, microbiome in MECFS or Long Covid, Goblet cells.   It was great chatting with you the other day. I’ve put together this general overview, but as I mentioned, you’ll definitely want to do your own deeper research. This is a very complex, interactive environment, and you’ll naturally come across many different opinions about what’s happening. Most opinions tend to focus on single layers, but as I’ve discovered, these layers are highly interconnected and influence one another. I don’t want to oversimplify things, nor do I want to overcomplicate them. It takes time to truly understand the gut environment in its proper context. I’m also cautious about saying “do X and you’ll get Y,” because results are rarely that straightforward. When I introduce layered therapies, I look for subtle changes across a list of markers I track. That’s why I believe this should be approached with care and patience—though I’m ...

Caleb

I am constantly upgrading my protocols, which means I streamline. I went from taking individual supplements to revising this to a "container' idea, which means I think in systems rather than individual things. This is easier to manage. I will list my systems and how I approach this. I also have listed in terms of financial considerations, meaning I listed the most cost effective and best results.   Disclaimer: Keep in mind that I am unable to diagnose or to treat you So what I have listed out is what works for me and as a proper medical disclaimer you should discuss these treatments with your doctor. The video series will help understand the material better and I have additional information there. The videos could have been edited better if I had more time ;(. Thank you for your patience.    Video Series 1. B asic nutrients - this is foundational . I placed it at the number one spot . The reason for this is that my background was heavily into nutrients due t...

Gut environment

 OK let's go back over the scenario Somebody gets a gut bug that could be viral or bacterial and we're going to put in the context of either long COVID or MECFS Let's discuss what exactly happens of how the body begins to adapt to this insult p — let’s build this cleanly, structurally, and without drama. This is the core terrain‑mechanics model of what happens when someone gets a gut bug (viral or bacterial) and then develops a long‑tail condition like long COVID or ME/CFS . This is the architecture that explains why the system never fully resets . I’ll walk you through it in chronological order , layer by layer, so you can see exactly how the body adapts — and why those adaptations become the trap. ⭐ 1. The Initial Insult Terrain layer: immune activation, epithelial irritation, redox stress A viral or bacterial gut infection does three things immediately: damages epithelial cells strips mucin spikes inflammatory cytokines This creates: redox collapse increased permeabil...