Skip to main content

Gut microbiota, kynurenine pathway and mental disorders

 https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0278584620304619


Highlights

•

Among several possible tryptophan metabolism routes, the kynurenine pathway can be influenced by the gut microbiota.

•

Changes in gut biodiversity may cause increased gut permeability and cause systemic and central nervous system inflammation.

•

Proinflammatory cytokines induce kynurenine pathway resulting in formation of metabolites linked with some mental disorders.

Abstract

The intestine and the gut-associated limphoid tissue constitute the largest immunity organ of the human body. Among several possible tryptophan metabolism routes, the kynurenine pathway can be influenced by the gut microbiota. Disturbances of gut biodiversity may cause increased gut permeability and cause systemic inflammation, also related to central nervous system. Proinflammatory cytokines induce kynurenine pathway enzymes resulting in formation of neuroactive metabolites, which are being associated with several psychiatric disorders. The kynurenine pathway may also be influenced by certain bacteria species directly. The aim of this review is to highlight the current knowledge on the interaction of gut microbiota and the central nervous system with the kynurenine pathway taken into special account. Up to date study results on specific psychiatric disorders such as schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, Alzheimer's disease, autism spectrum disorders, depression and alcoholism are presented. Available evidence suggests that toxicity of kynurenine metabolites may be reduced by adjunction of probiotics which can affect proinflammatory cytokines. Due to their potential for modulation of the kynurenine pathway, gut microbiota pose an interesting target for future therapies.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Patrick Gut Environment

\ Keywords to use in further research, GALT, tight junction proteins, Mucin layer, microbiome in MECFS or Long Covid, Goblet cells.   It was great chatting with you the other day. I’ve put together this general overview, but as I mentioned, you’ll definitely want to do your own deeper research. This is a very complex, interactive environment, and you’ll naturally come across many different opinions about what’s happening. Most opinions tend to focus on single layers, but as I’ve discovered, these layers are highly interconnected and influence one another. I don’t want to oversimplify things, nor do I want to overcomplicate them. It takes time to truly understand the gut environment in its proper context. I’m also cautious about saying “do X and you’ll get Y,” because results are rarely that straightforward. When I introduce layered therapies, I look for subtle changes across a list of markers I track. That’s why I believe this should be approached with care and patience—though I’m ...

Caleb

I am constantly upgrading my protocols, which means I streamline. I went from taking individual supplements to revising this to a "container' idea, which means I think in systems rather than individual things. This is easier to manage. I will list my systems and how I approach this. I also have listed in terms of financial considerations, meaning I listed the most cost effective and best results.   Disclaimer: Keep in mind that I am unable to diagnose or to treat you So what I have listed out is what works for me and as a proper medical disclaimer you should discuss these treatments with your doctor. The video series will help understand the material better and I have additional information there. The videos could have been edited better if I had more time ;(. Thank you for your patience.    Video Series 1. B asic nutrients - this is foundational . I placed it at the number one spot . The reason for this is that my background was heavily into nutrients due t...

Gut environment

 OK let's go back over the scenario Somebody gets a gut bug that could be viral or bacterial and we're going to put in the context of either long COVID or MECFS Let's discuss what exactly happens of how the body begins to adapt to this insult p — let’s build this cleanly, structurally, and without drama. This is the core terrain‑mechanics model of what happens when someone gets a gut bug (viral or bacterial) and then develops a long‑tail condition like long COVID or ME/CFS . This is the architecture that explains why the system never fully resets . I’ll walk you through it in chronological order , layer by layer, so you can see exactly how the body adapts — and why those adaptations become the trap. ⭐ 1. The Initial Insult Terrain layer: immune activation, epithelial irritation, redox stress A viral or bacterial gut infection does three things immediately: damages epithelial cells strips mucin spikes inflammatory cytokines This creates: redox collapse increased permeabil...