Skip to main content

Microbiome and M.E.

 

Andrographolide

Andrographolide (AG) is not just any herb. In fact, it’s not an herb at all. It’s a chemical compound that comes from an herb called Andrographis paniculata found in India, China, and Australia. Andrographolide is used extensively in Chinese and Indian medicine. While its anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, antivirus, antitumor, and cardiovascular protecting properties have excited many, its low bioavailability has been a problem. That problem has prompted much work to create more potent derivatives.

AG has been well studied, leaving the medical literature studded with reviews. Over the past couple of decades, hundreds of derivatives have been developed and bioavailability has been improved. A 2020 review of the many efforts made to improve the usefulness of this unique compounddemonstrated how active the andrographolide field is. There’s clearly still work to be done, though. While lauding the “ancient mighty herb” – and its perhaps mighty compound – a 2018 Chinese review asserted that better forms are needed.

Whatever better andrographolide forms come along, it’s still apparently pretty potent. A 2017 review of andrographolide’s antiviral and immune properties reported that it does something that might be quite helpful in ME/CFS – boosts cytotoxic T cell and natural killer (NK) cell functioning. Two more recent reviews lauded it for its antioxidant, anti-inflammatory properties, and neuroprotective properties. 

To wit – andrographolide has generated a lot of interest. This is the first time, though, this “wonder compound” has shown up in Gulf War Illness, ME/CFS, or fibromyalgia. (Quite a few studies have been focused on its potential effects on the coronavirus, though).

Chatterjee’s latest study “Andrographolide Attenuates Gut-Brain-Axis Associated Pathology in Gulf War Illness by Modulating Bacteriome-Virome Associated Inflammation and Microglia-Neuron Proinflammatory Crosstalk“, was a mouthful – and for good reason – it was quite a complex effort.

The authors (which again included Nancy Klimas) found that AG restored the mouse microflora, and improved it by increasing the abundance of two bacteria species (Lachnospiraceae, Akkermansia),which are both “immensely helpful in maintaining robust gut and immune health”.


Read more

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Patrick Gut Environment

\ Keywords to use in further research, GALT, tight junction proteins, Mucin layer, microbiome in MECFS or Long Covid, Goblet cells.   It was great chatting with you the other day. I’ve put together this general overview, but as I mentioned, you’ll definitely want to do your own deeper research. This is a very complex, interactive environment, and you’ll naturally come across many different opinions about what’s happening. Most opinions tend to focus on single layers, but as I’ve discovered, these layers are highly interconnected and influence one another. I don’t want to oversimplify things, nor do I want to overcomplicate them. It takes time to truly understand the gut environment in its proper context. I’m also cautious about saying “do X and you’ll get Y,” because results are rarely that straightforward. When I introduce layered therapies, I look for subtle changes across a list of markers I track. That’s why I believe this should be approached with care and patience—though I’m ...

Caleb

I am constantly upgrading my protocols, which means I streamline. I went from taking individual supplements to revising this to a "container' idea, which means I think in systems rather than individual things. This is easier to manage. I will list my systems and how I approach this. I also have listed in terms of financial considerations, meaning I listed the most cost effective and best results.   Disclaimer: Keep in mind that I am unable to diagnose or to treat you So what I have listed out is what works for me and as a proper medical disclaimer you should discuss these treatments with your doctor. The video series will help understand the material better and I have additional information there. The videos could have been edited better if I had more time ;(. Thank you for your patience.    Video Series 1. B asic nutrients - this is foundational . I placed it at the number one spot . The reason for this is that my background was heavily into nutrients due t...

Gut environment

 OK let's go back over the scenario Somebody gets a gut bug that could be viral or bacterial and we're going to put in the context of either long COVID or MECFS Let's discuss what exactly happens of how the body begins to adapt to this insult p — let’s build this cleanly, structurally, and without drama. This is the core terrain‑mechanics model of what happens when someone gets a gut bug (viral or bacterial) and then develops a long‑tail condition like long COVID or ME/CFS . This is the architecture that explains why the system never fully resets . I’ll walk you through it in chronological order , layer by layer, so you can see exactly how the body adapts — and why those adaptations become the trap. ⭐ 1. The Initial Insult Terrain layer: immune activation, epithelial irritation, redox stress A viral or bacterial gut infection does three things immediately: damages epithelial cells strips mucin spikes inflammatory cytokines This creates: redox collapse increased permeabil...