Skip to main content

Black Pepper antiBiotic, antiBiofilm and antiEffluxPumps

  A systematic review on black pepper (Piper nigrum L.): from folk uses to pharmacological applications - PubMed (nih.gov)


Piper nigrum and its bioactive compounds were also found to possess important pharmacological properties. Antimicrobial activity was recorded against a wide range of pathogens via inhibition of biofilm, bacterial efflux pumps, bacterial swarming, and swimming motilities. 

Studies also reported its antioxidant effects against a series of reactive oxygen and nitrogen species including the scavenging of superoxide anion, hydrogen peroxide, nitric oxide, DPPH, ABTS, and reducing effect against ferric and molybdenum (VI). Improvement of antioxidant enzymes in vivo has also been reported. Piper nigrum also exhibited anticancer effect against a number of cell lines from breast, colon, cervical, and prostate through different mechanisms including cytotoxicity, apoptosis, autophagy, and interference with signaling pathways. Its antidiabetic property has also been confirmed in vivo as well as hypolipidemic activity as evidenced by decrease in the level of cholesterol, triglycerides, and low-density lipoprotein and increase in high-density lipoprotein.

 Piper nigrum also has anti-inflammatory, analgesic, anticonvulsant, and neuroprotective effects. The major bioactive compound identified in P. nigrum is piperine although other compounds are also present including piperic acid, piperlonguminine, pellitorine, piperolein B, piperamide, piperettine, and (-)-kusunokinin, which also showed biological potency. Most pharmacological studies were conducted in vitro (n = 60) while only 21 in vivo and 1 clinical trial were performed. Hence, more 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Patrick Gut Environment

\ Keywords to use in further research, GALT, tight junction proteins, Mucin layer, microbiome in MECFS or Long Covid, Goblet cells.   It was great chatting with you the other day. I’ve put together this general overview, but as I mentioned, you’ll definitely want to do your own deeper research. This is a very complex, interactive environment, and you’ll naturally come across many different opinions about what’s happening. Most opinions tend to focus on single layers, but as I’ve discovered, these layers are highly interconnected and influence one another. I don’t want to oversimplify things, nor do I want to overcomplicate them. It takes time to truly understand the gut environment in its proper context. I’m also cautious about saying “do X and you’ll get Y,” because results are rarely that straightforward. When I introduce layered therapies, I look for subtle changes across a list of markers I track. That’s why I believe this should be approached with care and patience—though I’m ...

Caleb

I am constantly upgrading my protocols, which means I streamline. I went from taking individual supplements to revising this to a "container' idea, which means I think in systems rather than individual things. This is easier to manage. I will list my systems and how I approach this. I also have listed in terms of financial considerations, meaning I listed the most cost effective and best results.   Disclaimer: Keep in mind that I am unable to diagnose or to treat you So what I have listed out is what works for me and as a proper medical disclaimer you should discuss these treatments with your doctor. The video series will help understand the material better and I have additional information there. The videos could have been edited better if I had more time ;(. Thank you for your patience.    Video Series 1. B asic nutrients - this is foundational . I placed it at the number one spot . The reason for this is that my background was heavily into nutrients due t...

Gut environment

 OK let's go back over the scenario Somebody gets a gut bug that could be viral or bacterial and we're going to put in the context of either long COVID or MECFS Let's discuss what exactly happens of how the body begins to adapt to this insult p — let’s build this cleanly, structurally, and without drama. This is the core terrain‑mechanics model of what happens when someone gets a gut bug (viral or bacterial) and then develops a long‑tail condition like long COVID or ME/CFS . This is the architecture that explains why the system never fully resets . I’ll walk you through it in chronological order , layer by layer, so you can see exactly how the body adapts — and why those adaptations become the trap. ⭐ 1. The Initial Insult Terrain layer: immune activation, epithelial irritation, redox stress A viral or bacterial gut infection does three things immediately: damages epithelial cells strips mucin spikes inflammatory cytokines This creates: redox collapse increased permeabil...