Skip to main content

Pro-Resolving Mediators

 Specialized Pro-resolving Mediators: Getting Rid of Chronic Inflammation (geneticlifehacks.com)


This is a very good article concerning out of control inflammation which is major problem that cascades in to more complex issues. 

Here is a snippet, the link above has the complete article.

Chronic inflammation is due to lack of resolution

Currently, if you go to the doctor with a disease that is caused by chronic inflammation, you will often be prescribed an anti-inflammatory medication. Something to block the formation of inflammatory cytokines, such as NSAIDs or leukotriene inhibitors.

For example, TNF-alpha is an inflammatory cytokine that elevates in rheumatoid arthritis. Medications that block TNF, such as anti-TNF antibodies, are used to decrease the symptoms in RA. But the side effects include a suppressed immune system that makes patients more susceptible to pathogens.

But why does TNF-alpha stay elevated in RA? One big part of the picture seems to be an inadequate or insufficient resolution of the inflammation.

As one research study puts it: “While it was previously thought that passive disappearance of proinflammatory factors was sufficient for the cessation of inflammation, it is now known that the resolution of acute inflammation (or inflammation-resolution) is an active and highly coordinated process. Inflammation resolution is governed by a panoply of endogenous factors that include SPMs, protein/peptide mediators such as annexin A1 and interleukin 10, gases such as carbon monoxide and hydrogen sulfide, and nucleotides such as adenosine and inosine.”[ref]. (We are sticking to just talking about SPMs here, but keep in mind that as in-depth as SPMs are, there is still more to the topic.)

SPMs (specialized pro-resolving mediators) are not only important in halting the inflammatory response, but they also “orchestrate the clearance of tissue pathogens, dying cells, and debris from the battlefield of infectious inflammation.”[ref]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Patrick Gut Environment

\ Keywords to use in further research, GALT, tight junction proteins, Mucin layer, microbiome in MECFS or Long Covid, Goblet cells.   It was great chatting with you the other day. I’ve put together this general overview, but as I mentioned, you’ll definitely want to do your own deeper research. This is a very complex, interactive environment, and you’ll naturally come across many different opinions about what’s happening. Most opinions tend to focus on single layers, but as I’ve discovered, these layers are highly interconnected and influence one another. I don’t want to oversimplify things, nor do I want to overcomplicate them. It takes time to truly understand the gut environment in its proper context. I’m also cautious about saying “do X and you’ll get Y,” because results are rarely that straightforward. When I introduce layered therapies, I look for subtle changes across a list of markers I track. That’s why I believe this should be approached with care and patience—though I’m ...

Caleb

I am constantly upgrading my protocols, which means I streamline. I went from taking individual supplements to revising this to a "container' idea, which means I think in systems rather than individual things. This is easier to manage. I will list my systems and how I approach this. I also have listed in terms of financial considerations, meaning I listed the most cost effective and best results.   Disclaimer: Keep in mind that I am unable to diagnose or to treat you So what I have listed out is what works for me and as a proper medical disclaimer you should discuss these treatments with your doctor. The video series will help understand the material better and I have additional information there. The videos could have been edited better if I had more time ;(. Thank you for your patience.    Video Series 1. B asic nutrients - this is foundational . I placed it at the number one spot . The reason for this is that my background was heavily into nutrients due t...

Gut environment

 OK let's go back over the scenario Somebody gets a gut bug that could be viral or bacterial and we're going to put in the context of either long COVID or MECFS Let's discuss what exactly happens of how the body begins to adapt to this insult p — let’s build this cleanly, structurally, and without drama. This is the core terrain‑mechanics model of what happens when someone gets a gut bug (viral or bacterial) and then develops a long‑tail condition like long COVID or ME/CFS . This is the architecture that explains why the system never fully resets . I’ll walk you through it in chronological order , layer by layer, so you can see exactly how the body adapts — and why those adaptations become the trap. ⭐ 1. The Initial Insult Terrain layer: immune activation, epithelial irritation, redox stress A viral or bacterial gut infection does three things immediately: damages epithelial cells strips mucin spikes inflammatory cytokines This creates: redox collapse increased permeabil...