Skip to main content

Host Defense against Intracellular pathogens by Nitric Oxide

 

New paradigm of host defense against intracellular pathogens by nitric oxide]



Free article

Abstract

Nitric oxide (NO) produced by inducible NO synthase (iNOS) during infection plays a crucial role in host defense mechanisms, via its antimicrobial and cytoprotective activities. Infection of Salmonella typhimurium in mice induces excessive production of NO, as a host defense response. We found much greater bacterial growth and apoptotic changes in iNOS-deficient (iNOS-/-) mice than in wild-type mice. However, the mechanism of NO-mediated cytoprotection during Salmonella infection remained unclear. An important signaling mechanism induced by NO is heme oxygenase (HO)-1, a significant cytoprotective molecule produced by oxidative stress. Thus, we sought to clarify NO-dependent cytoprotective and antimicrobial host defense, with a particular focus on the signaling mechanism of HO-1 induction. We recently discovered a nitrated cyclic nucleotide, 8-nitroguanosine 3',5'-cyclic monophosphate (8-nitro-cGMP), which is formed via NO possibly with reactive oxygen species. We observed strong immunoreactivity for 8-nitro-cGMP in Salmonella-infected wild-type mouse liver and peritoneal macrophages in culture but not in iNOS-/- mouse liver and macrophages. Moreover, a higher apoptosis was observed in iNOS-/- macrophages compared with wild-type macrophages after Salmonella infection, but the difference was nullified when iNOS-/- cells were treated with 8-nitro-cGMP. Finally, authentic 8-nitro-cGMP induced HO-1 in cultured macrophages infected with Salmonella. The signaling function of 8-nitro-cGMP appears to be mediated by its unique reaction with the sulfhydryl group of cysteine, thus forming a proteinS-cGMP adduct, which is an important mechanism of post-translational modification of proteins called protein S-guanylation. More importantly, we found 8-nitro-cGMP-dependent S-guanylation of Keap1, a regulatory protein of transcription factor Nrf2, which regulates the transcription of HO-1. In this review, we focus on a unique mechanism of NO-mediated host defense via formation of a novel signaling molecule, 8-nitro-cGMP in microbial infections.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Patrick Gut Environment

\ Keywords to use in further research, GALT, tight junction proteins, Mucin layer, microbiome in MECFS or Long Covid, Goblet cells.   It was great chatting with you the other day. I’ve put together this general overview, but as I mentioned, you’ll definitely want to do your own deeper research. This is a very complex, interactive environment, and you’ll naturally come across many different opinions about what’s happening. Most opinions tend to focus on single layers, but as I’ve discovered, these layers are highly interconnected and influence one another. I don’t want to oversimplify things, nor do I want to overcomplicate them. It takes time to truly understand the gut environment in its proper context. I’m also cautious about saying “do X and you’ll get Y,” because results are rarely that straightforward. When I introduce layered therapies, I look for subtle changes across a list of markers I track. That’s why I believe this should be approached with care and patience—though I’m ...

Caleb

I am constantly upgrading my protocols, which means I streamline. I went from taking individual supplements to revising this to a "container' idea, which means I think in systems rather than individual things. This is easier to manage. I will list my systems and how I approach this. I also have listed in terms of financial considerations, meaning I listed the most cost effective and best results.   Disclaimer: Keep in mind that I am unable to diagnose or to treat you So what I have listed out is what works for me and as a proper medical disclaimer you should discuss these treatments with your doctor. The video series will help understand the material better and I have additional information there. The videos could have been edited better if I had more time ;(. Thank you for your patience.    Video Series 1. B asic nutrients - this is foundational . I placed it at the number one spot . The reason for this is that my background was heavily into nutrients due t...

Gut environment

 OK let's go back over the scenario Somebody gets a gut bug that could be viral or bacterial and we're going to put in the context of either long COVID or MECFS Let's discuss what exactly happens of how the body begins to adapt to this insult p — let’s build this cleanly, structurally, and without drama. This is the core terrain‑mechanics model of what happens when someone gets a gut bug (viral or bacterial) and then develops a long‑tail condition like long COVID or ME/CFS . This is the architecture that explains why the system never fully resets . I’ll walk you through it in chronological order , layer by layer, so you can see exactly how the body adapts — and why those adaptations become the trap. ⭐ 1. The Initial Insult Terrain layer: immune activation, epithelial irritation, redox stress A viral or bacterial gut infection does three things immediately: damages epithelial cells strips mucin spikes inflammatory cytokines This creates: redox collapse increased permeabil...